Bangladesh Road Transport Owners Association, Bangladesh Bus-Truck Owners Association and Bangladesh Road Transport Workers Federation (BRTWF) have demanded for resuming long distance transports for passengers and goods following health guidelines.
Shahjahan Khan, president of (BRTWF) read a written speech at National Press Club on Saturday.
"The government has decided to operate transports within metropolitan cities and districts from May 6 relaxing the lockdown, except the long distance transports, "said Shahjahan Khan. " This has created dissatisfaction among the owners and workers."
"People are travelling on bus-mini buses, auto-rickshaw, which is increasing the chance of coronavirus spread. So, the long-distance transports should be resumed following health guidelines," he added.
He also presented 5-point demands:
- Allowing all types of public transports and cargo transports and following health guidelines and taking passengers to half of their capacity.
- Incentives and food for the workers who became jobless due to the lockdown.
- Tk5 crore stimulus on minimal interest and easy condition for the owners for vehicle repair, salary and bonus of the workers.
- Selling OMS rice for the workers at the bus-truck terminals before and after Eid.
- Tk5,000 stimulus and low-interest loans to the owners for vehicle reparation, salaries and allowances to employees and workers.
If the demands are not met, the owners and workers will stage sit-in protest after Eid Jamat at morning across the country and will announce further programme.
Among the others, Bangladesh Road Transport Owners Association President Mosiur Rahman Ranga and Secretery General Enayet Ulaah were present in the briefing.