Six members of a family, including a woman and two minor children, were burnt in an explosion caused by accumulated gas leak early Tuesday in the West Masdair area of Narayanganj city.
The victims were identified as RMG worker Mishal (28), his wife Mita Begum (23), daughter Afsana Akhter (4), son Minhaj, and cousins Md Mahfuz and Sabbir Hossain.
They were rushed to Sheikh Hasina National Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute after being rescued by the fire service, reports Prothom Alo.
Confirming the matter, Deputy Assistant Director of the Narayanganj Fire Service and Civil Defense Abdullah Al Arefin said, "Gas leaked from a gas cylinder, trapped inside the house, caused the fire leaving six people and all their belongings to be burnt in the flame."
"It is being assumed that fire started as accumulated gas came into contact with flame when someone at the house lit a cigarette and caused an explosion. The matter is being investigated," he added.
"The blast set three rooms on fire damaging doors and windows of the apartment," said Fatullah Model Police Station Inspector (Investigation) Shafiqul Islam, adding that, "Burnt gas cylinder was found in the kitchen."
The youngest victim – one-and-half year old Minhaj - sustained 50% burn injuries, while Afsana Akhter sustained 50% and Mita Begum 10%. Three others were taken directly to the Dhaka hospital from the spot, according to emergency Dr Golam Mostafa Emon of Narayanganj General Hospital.