A fire broke out at Rajdhani Super Market in the capital this evening.
"The fire originated around 5:15pm from the second floor of the market at Tikatuli area and soon spread to some other shops," said Dilip Kumar Biswas, the deputy director of Fire Service.
"One-hundred-eighty fire fighters of 25 units doused the blaze around 6:40pm. Locals and traders also assisted us," he added.
"The tin-shed market was already listed as risky establishment," said the fire service official adding, "The reason behind today's blaze could be known after an investigation."
Hossain Ahmed, owner of a shop at the market, said, "The fire originated from short circuit at a shop on the second floor and later it spread to adjacent shops on the floor."