Fast bowler Shahadat Hossain was banned for five years in November 2019, with two years suspended, for physically assaulting teammate Arafat Sunny Jr. on the field. The fast bowler appealed to the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) in March this year to reduce his ban so that he could take care of the expenses of his mother's treatment who has been suffering from cancer.
No official statement was given regarding his ban from the BCB after that. But the fast bowler, on Saturday, featured in a Dhaka Premier League T20 game for Partex Sporting Club. This was Shahadat's first appearance in competitive cricket in 18 months.
The BCB said that it would reconsider the decision after Shahadat had appealed. But as per the 33-year old, the ban was lifted few days after he had appealed. "I appealed to the BCB in March this year. The ban was reduced few days after that. Since then, I had been waiting to come back. Finally, I have returned," Shahadat told The Business Standard (TBS).
Shahadat bowled two wicketless overs in his comeback game and conceded 16 runs. "I am satisfied with the way I bowled given that I was away from cricket for so many days. I reckon I will bowl well if I can play regularly. I will give my hundred per cent," added the pacer.
Controversies and Shahadat go hand in hand. He along with his wife had to go behind bars for assaulting a domestic help. The BCB, at that time, imposed a ban on him. But later it allowed him to play after the fast bowler had appealed to the board.