A fierce fire has broken out and destroyed more than 300 houses and shops in the Rohingya refugee camp in Ukhia, Cox's Bazar.
The fire broke out in E Block of Kutupalong Lambashia Camp on Tuesday morning. Refugee and Repatriation Commission officers rushed to the scene and moved the victims to various learning centres and non-governmental organisation (NGO) offices, which were vacant.
Ukhia Fire Service in-charge Imdadul Haque said, "Two of our units went to the spot and controlled the fire after one hour of efforts, around noon. The fire might have broken out from a gas stove used by Rohingyas. The extent of the damage will be determined after investigation."
Ali Hossain, head of E1 block, said, "Around 312 houses and shops have been ablaze, and the victims are staying under the open sky in inhumane conditions."
Ukhia upazila nirbahi officer Nikaruzzaman Chowdhury said, "I know six have been injured but I have not found anyone injured on the spot."
"There are gas stoves and gas cylinders in every house. Most of them do not know how to use a cylinder. Additionally, there are some gas cylinder shops in the camp. The fire might have broken out from there too," he added.
Rohingya Refugee, Relief and Repatriation Commissioner Mahbub Alam Talukder said UNHCR, WFPA, and other non-governmental organisations have been asked to help the victims. The damaged houses will be reconstructed as soon as possible.