In 100 years…
- It's highly likely something new and more involved will replace the Internet.
- Everyone on the planet will be networked.
- Homes, cars, businesses, even our bodies will be instrumented and monitored.
- Augmented reality will become normal.
- Real time language translation will be available for use in face-to-face and conferenced conversation.
- Some speculate that humans will be able to communicate through thought transmission.
- Others speculate we'll all be wired into computers to make our brains work faster and better.
- Some speculate that in just 20 years' (the new 100 years) time we will have:
- A set of interconnected virtual worlds that users can visit to consume services, "teleporting" from one world to another.
- Use DNA to sign digital fingerprints as a privacy safeguard
- All be "supercomputers" with thought controlled mechanisms enabling us to search the web inside our brains.
- Meeting people using holograms.
The internet of everything (IOE)
Many things in our everyday life are already connected to the Internet, bringing us closer to the Internet of the future.
IOE is a catch-all term used to describe: Adding connectivity and intelligence to nearly every device in order to give them special functions
Internet connected things will include:
- Crockpot: Control your crock-pot with your smartphone.
- Smart cars
- Smart watches and other wearable technology
"Sensory Fiction" would allow the wearer to experience physical sensations based on the written word.
- Body compression system
- Heartbeat and shiver simulator
- Localized body temperature control
Turns your hand into a touch interface
Allows you to control up to three devices using only taps and swipes such as: