Social Media and Communications Specialist - WorldFish
|Job Type||Full Time|
|Deadline||24 March, 2021|
WorldFish's Aquaculture: Increasing income, diversifying diets, and empowering women in Bangladesh (IDEA-BD) project is looking for a Social Media & Communication Specialist to manage communications activities.
The ideal candidate is a pro-active, self-motivated professional with recognized experience in digital/virtual community management, as well as proven experience in communications management in traditional media. She/he is a tech savvy person, with command of a wide range of digital communications and graphic design software. Preferably, the candidate should have a journalism background and experience working as a field journalist for international organizations or for mass media companies.
Specifically, the Social Media & Communication Specialist will:
(i) Lead the development and growth of various digital/virtual communities for IDEA-BD within Bangladesh and globally;
(ii) In close coordination with the IDEA-BD team, will proactively create and disseminate digital content (stories, technical knowledge pieces, videos, animations, etc.) to be shared within these virtual communities;
(iii) Will support and guide the IDEA-BD team in the implementation of other communication activities, including the development of traditional communication materials and the organization of media events.
S/he will be required to manage the project branding policy in accordance with WorldFish and donor communication guidelines and policies. The Social Media & Communication Specialist will work under the supervision of the IDEA-BD Project Manager in Bangladesh. S/he will maintain strong relations with the communications team in WorldFish and staff from other projects of Bangladesh office. It is expected that the Social Media & Communication Specialist will work together with the Production Coordinator to conform a solid 'communications team' to support the project.
Development and Growth of Digital/Virtual Communities
- Develop a plan to build/grow digital/virtual communities with stakeholders in Bangladesh's aquaculture sector, particularly with local service providers, seed and feed dealers, aquaculture farmers. This plan should be developed with the support from, and in close interaction with the IDEA-BD team its partners.
- Set up a practical proposal to ensure IDEA-BD messages, results and achievements are shared in diverse online international development forums related to aquaculture, rural development, nutrition, health, SDGs, etc. in Bangladesh and abroad. This will include a strategy to 'seed' content in these forums, enroll influencers and thought leaders, and animate online discussions.
- Implement community management activities (as per the abovementioned plans) in a way that maximizes the delivery of quick, meaningful results.
Digital Content Creation and Dissemination
- Under the guidance of the Project Manager and in close collaboration with the IDEA-BD Team, proactively identify communication opportunities, such as news, activities, knowledge breakthroughs, project results, etc.
- Convert the abovementioned communication opportunities into specific stories, briefs, animations, posts, broadcasts, news pieces, briefs, articles, etc. This will include the writing and/or edition of consistently high-quality content (in Bangla and/or in English, as appropriate), and might involve interviews with farmers and other aquaculture stakeholders in the field, as well as in-depth interviews with scientists, decision makers and thought leaders of the sector.
- Effectively disseminate content created through a diverse set of media, including virtual/digital forums and networks, as well as formal communications media.
- Research and advice on the latest trends in new emerging digital platforms, apps, forums and digital communication alternatives that might be used by IDEA-BD to disseminate content.
Support and Guide Communications Activities
- In close coordination with WorldFish's communications team, provide guidance and support to all project staff on the successful implementation of WorldFish Communications guidelines, including but not limited to: WorldFish Branding Toolkit, Open Access Policy, Publications Tracking, Promotion and Dissemination, Media Engagement, Social Media, etc.
- Assist in planning, conceptualizing, drafting and developing materials for the project events/campaigns.
- Assist and guide project team on media messaging, media handling, support with media briefings and on timely responses to reputational management inquiries raised by media and donors.
- Ensure the quality of communication materials developed by the IDEA-BD team and/or its partners such as publications, conference/workshop contributions, promotional materials, digital storytelling products, success stories, etc.
- Ensure proper branding and acknowledgement for all project communication materials in line with donor and WorldFish branding.
- Under the guidance of the WorldFish Communications and Marketing Team, assist and guide the project office on timely responses to reputational management inquiries raised by media and donors;
- Support the IDEA-BD team with conceptualization and organization of project events, including workshops, roundtables, report launches, press conferences, etc.
- Regularly attend the monthly meetings of the WorldFish Communications Network to ensure coordination with HQ and other country offices on global communication campaigns, strategic events and new communication policies.
This job is open to Bangladesh Nationals with the following skills and qualifications:
- Advanced university degree in communication, journalism, public relations social sciences, project management, information technology, or other related discipline or equivalent working experience in progressively responsible professional work in communication/information fields.
- Minimum 5 to 8 years of progressively professional work experience in communications and/or journalism with international development organizations and/or mass media companies.
- Exceptional writing, editing, and communication skills in English and in Bangla in a variety of formats (web and digital platform, print publications, press releases, etc.). Strong grammar and editorial skills, with very strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated success in community management, including management growth of active online forums and virtual networks.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and disseminating digital content such as social media posts, digital stories, briefs, animations, videos, etc.
- Good understanding and skills in digital and social media tools and platforms, such: Drupal, WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr and adequate graphic design skills (Adobe InDesign, Spark and Photoshop).
- Strong ability to digest, analyze and present complex information clearly and concisely in a wide variety of formats.
- Ability to interact with a range of stakeholders including policymakers and government officials, NGOs, farmers, the media, community representatives, etc.
- Must be a self-starter with the confident ability to work independently with minimum supervision, as well as part of a team.
- Good understanding of global development key issues (poverty, food and nutrition security, gender equality and women empowerment, children's nutrition, etc.).
- Must uphold and apply WorldFish organizational values of Integrity and Trust, Fairness and Equity, Excellence and Innovation and Teamwork and Partnerships.
- Understanding of aquaculture issues and challenges in Bangladesh is strongly preferred.
- Experience in writing stories and/or reporting from rural areas of Bangladesh is strongly preferred.
- An active blogger, and or active virtual forum contributor/manager is strongly preferred.
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position with approximate annual salary ranging between BDT 1,920,819 – BDT 2,226,755 per annum. WorldFish NRS shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension / provident fund contribution.
Eligibility, Location and Duration
The position will be based Dhaka, Bangladesh. Interviews are expected to be held in March 2021 and only shortlisted candidates will be notified and expected to attend the interview. The successful candidate should be available to commence in April 2021 for an initial one (1) year and nine (9) months fixed term contract, with the possibility of contract renewal depending on performance and funding availability.
Our Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
WorldFish has seven offices across Asia, Africa and the Pacific, with more than 400 staff and 27 nationalities who contribute to a dynamic multicultural work environment.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity and inclusion is valued and we seek to have gender balance in the organization. We aim to also seek balance across other diversity dimensions.
People in WorldFish are treated equally irrespective of gender, ethnicity/race, national or social origin, disability, religion, political affiliation, age, family size, marital status or any other form of personal identity.
We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage qualified women and men from developing nations to apply.
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 24 March 2021.
Screening will start immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.