National EPI Consultant - UN Agency
|Job Type||Full Time|
|Deadline||03 May, 2021|
E-Zone HRM Limited is a management consulting group providing one-stop solutions to clients who seek improved and sustainable profitability through the effective use of their people and resources. We specialize in delivering innovative and value added services that promote revenue growth and cost containment.
E-Zone HRM Limited has a formal agreement with one of the United Nations Agency to provide outsourcing services under a third party contract.
E-Zone HRM Limited is now accepting applications from Bangladeshi Nationals for the following vacancies under third party outsourcing contract modality:
National EPI Consultant
Duty Station: Narayanganj, Rangamati, Jamalpur and Moulvibazar
Contract Duration: 12 Months
Number of Vacancies: 4 (Four)
Contract Type: Contract with E-Zone
Contract Start Date: May/June 2021
Reporting to: Health Officer- Dhaka, Mymensingh FO, Sylhet FO and Chattogram FO. Overall to Immunization Specialist, Dhaka
The objective of hiring Consultant is to continue the support in improving immunization coverage in 16 low performing Districts and 8 City Corporations under HSS-3 and MACP project including support in implementation of EPI & PHC activities along with implementation of SBCC related interventions. In addition, technical assistance will be provided to DGHS in implementation of evidence-based planning and EPI e-tracker to reach the vulnerable children with quality and equity of immunization services. This consultancy will greatly contribute to leveraging UN Agency's priority results through DGHS.
Despite overall progress towards achievement of the EPI objectives, inequities persist. In particular, the programme is not yet reaching all children across different socioeconomic groups and geographical locations equally. According to the Coverage Evaluation Survey (CES), EPI performance varies significantly between districts. For example, the gap in coverage of the valid Fully Vaccinated Child (FVC) between the district with the highest (95.6% in Bhola) and the lowest (64.9% in Khagrachari) coverage was 30.7%. In terms of FVC, the gap between the Hard to Reach (HTR) (81.4%) and Non HTR (84.6%) areas was more than 3%.
Coverage within a single district is also not uniform, due to existence of pockets of underserved communities and/or hard-to-reach geographical areas. This means that there is variation between upazilas of the same district and between unions of the same upazila. Often, the most vulnerable and hard to reach children — those who need immunization the most — are consistently missed. UN Agency recognizes this inequity and has included the need to "address the immunization needs of the most disadvantaged and underserved populations" as one of its three major objectives in the UN Agency Immunization Roadmap 2018-2030 Strategy.
A critical challenge for the immunization programme in Bangladesh is reaching the remaining pockets of unvaccinated and unreached children. Data collection exercises do not track spatial distinctions of populations living in slums, which are often not factored in official statistics and are generally hidden within urban averages. UN Agency is providing support to MOH in developing a comprehensive social and behaviour change communication (SBCC) strategy focusing on equity in accessibility and quality by ensuring reaching out to vulnerable, hard-to-reach and excluded populations at sub-national level.
EPI, DGHS is planning to expand individual tracking for Immunization which is Android version of DHIS2 EPI e-tracker with the technical support from University of Oslo along with equity focus District Evidence Based Planning and Budgeting (DEPB) in 16 low performing districts and 8 city corporations under Gavi HSS3 and MACP support after successful pilot phase implementation of Immunization Tracker in Moulvibazar and DSCC. UN Agency has received the fund from MACP and Gavi and responsible to implement these activities. This TOR has developed for recruitment of four consultants for Narayanganj, Rangamati, Jamalpur and Moulvibazar to support EPI, DGHS.
C. Scope of work
The Consultants will work to continue the support in improving equitable routine immunization coverage in 16 low performing Districts and 8 City Corporations with equity focus evidence base planning, also provides support in activities integrating EPI with PHC in urban areas and implementation of SBCC related interventions. In addition, technical assistance will be provided to DGHS in implementation of the EPI e-tracker to reach the vulnerable children with quality and equity of immunization services in all 16 districts and 8 city corporations. The consultancy of 'National EPI Consultant' is essential to strengthen routine EPI through implementation of DEPB, EPI E-Tracker, integration with PHC, SBCC intervention and increase coverage in HTR and high- risk group of children. Effective local level evidence base planning with local implementer along with planning and implementation of appropriate innovative approaches and SBCC interventions is crucial to achieve equitable coverage for immunization and for that reason intensive support in low performing districts and Dhaka city corporations is essential. The consultants will also provide support in implementation of EPI e-tracker, innovations like true cover, integration of child biometric and Equity matrix to identify community with pocket in 16 Districts and 8 City Corporations under GaviHSS-3 and MACP project.
D. Deliverables and Schedule
The assignment is designed for the duration is of 12 months, where below tasks are expected:
- Provide support in strengthening routine EPI microplanning through organizing planning workshop with equity focus DEPB tool to improve routine immunization coverage in low performing and vulnerable areas.
- Support roll out of EPI E-tracker in target district, City Corporation & Municipality through ensuring supply, use of tablets & mobile device, capacity development and monitoring the implementation plan.
- Provide support to implement technology-based innovation like TrueCover and introduction of biometric for child below 1 year to increase immunization coverage.
- Provide support in development and implementation of effective SBCC interventions as per developed SBCC strategy including communication action plan to increase demand for immunization in coordination with C4D colleagues.
- Support in capacity building and supportive supervision of service providers with attention to adherence guidelines.
- Monitor routine EPI session in low performing and vulnerable areas, routine reporting, CCE inventory and VLMIS in DHIS2, prepare monitoring report and share with Divisional, District/City Corporation/Municipality and Upazila/Zonal Health Managers.
- Conduct Rapid Coverage Assessment (RCA) for routine EPI doses in Hard-to-Reach or High- Risk area of District and City Corporation and prepare report with specific actions.
- Joint field visit with health managers and field monitoring report with follow up action
- Data quality assessment of EPI E-tracker including desk review, field monitoring and cross check with register book & EPI card and follow up action.
- Monthly review of progress on improving immunization coverage with equity.
- Support in coordination with the C4D team in use of appropriate IEC materials and training of different workers, group members, volunteers and CHWs networks to build their capacity in counselling and mobilization of beneficiaries for immunization.
- Support in updating online inventory of cold chain equipment including new registration, update, reporting temperature alarm, repair and maintenance information.
- Provide support to continue immunization in COVID-19 crisis and support to COVID-19 response in their area.
E. Reporting Requirement
Consultant to report to the respective Health Officer of Field Offices and Immunization Specialist, Dhaka and will provide -
- Report on workshop to develop evidence-based EPI micro plan
- Approved DEPB on EPI for each unit
- DEPB implementation progress report
- Report on EPI session monitoring and supportive supervision
- RCA report with plan of corrective action
- Progress report of corrective actions planned in RCA report
- E-tracker training report and E-tracker implementation progress report
- DQSA report on E-tracker
- Report on progress of integration of EPI with PHC
- Progress report of SBCC intervention implementation along with communication action plan
- Progress report on implementation of TrueCover and child biometric
- Quarterly review meeting report
- Monthly Work & Travel Plan (MWTP) and final deliverable report
F. Qualification requirements
- A University Degree in medicine, public health, health research, health policy and/or management, health education, epidemiology, information technology or other health related sciences is required.
- A minimum of 3 years of professional work experience in public health planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal and child health programmes preferably in immunization programme and information technology.
- Preference would be given to candidate with working experience in the development of equity focus EPI micro plan, strengthening immunization, health related information technology implementation and implementation of individual tracker.
- Working experience and familiarity with the health programme of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, international organization or any other agencies will be an asset
- Fluency in English required. Knowledge of software development is an added advantage.
G. Consultancy Costs
- Consultant will get BDT 260,000 per month (Salary BDT 220,000 &TA/DSA BDT 40,000) consolidated including travel and DSA; other cost communication equipment, PC etc. are to be borne by the consultant.
- Office place, working station will be in Director- Health/Civil Surgeon/Chief Health Officer's office.
- Computer and communication will be borne by the Consultant
- Stationary and other office equipment, will be borne by the Consultant
- Travel cost and travel arrangement in the field, will be borne by the consultant
- Consultant will be responsible to pay all taxes as per government rules and regulations. E-Zone will make statutory deductions towards income tax as per government rules and regulations.
This position is open for Bangladeshi Nationals only. All candidates, irrespective of gender, religious and ethnic backgrounds can apply for the vacancies.
The UN Agency prides itself as fostering a multicultural and harmonious work environment, guaranteed by a zero-tolerance policy on sexual exploitation and abuse, and on any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected consultants will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Candidates with the required profile and proven experience, who meet these qualifications, are invited to submit their application in English clearly mentioning the Job Title along with a meaningful cover letter, updated CV, recent PP size photographby email to: [email protected]
Last Date of Application: 3 May 2021.
No phone calls please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated according to the merit and with strict confidentiality.