Capacity Building Coordinator - British Council
|10 April, 2021
Role Title: Capacity Building Coordinator - Platforms for Dialogue (P4D) project
Role Type: Consultant
Duration: 13 Months
Reports to: Deputy Team Lead
British Council invites applications for the position of Capacity Building Coordinator with its European Union-funded Platforms for Dialogue (P4D) project
This announcement is for a full-time consultancy position to lead capacity-building activities of the European Union-funded "Platforms for Dialogue: Strengthening Inclusion and Participation in Decision Making and Accountability Mechanisms in Bangladesh" Project.
The primary duties will be:
- Bring capacity building best practice from all relevant sectors including corporate, government, and civil society and ensure it is embedded in the programme.
- Develop training, coaching, mentorship, and other capacity-building methodologies for the stakeholders across the programme.
- Serve as the focal point for Result Area 2 activities, supporting four government training institutions' capacity-building activities.
Background: Programme Objectives and Scope
Platforms for Dialogue (P4D), a European Union-funded project in partnership with the Cabinet Division, is working to improve good governance and engage civil society organisations and citizens in government accountability mechanisms. With our partners, Platforms for Dialogue works to increase citizens' rights awareness, promote democratic ownership, and support government officials to improve accountability and responsiveness. Implemented through the British Council, this multi-year project is a unique initiative working directly with citizens, CSOs, and the government to address good governance and contribute to SDG 16 in Bangladesh.
The overall objective of the programme is to strengthen democratic ownership and accountability mechanisms in Bangladesh. The programme's specific objective is to promote a more enabling environment for the effective engagement and participation of the citizens and civil society in decision-making and oversight. The programme is organised around three converging Result Areas:
- Result Area 1: CSOs' ability to influence government policy and practice raised through better accountability to and more effective representation of citizens' interests
- Result Area 2: Accountability and responsiveness of government officials raised through enhanced capacity building of decision-makers and engagement with CSOs
- Result Area 3: New tools and policy platforms for more effective dialogue between citizens and government are developed and utilised
Implementation of the programme commenced in February 2017. The initial implantation period of the programme was 36 months. The European Union Delegation, Cabinet Division of Bangladesh, and the British Council agreed to extend the project until November 2020 to address the consequences of later project start and Covid pandemic. A further extension is secured till June 2022. Project extension will enable the P4D to scale up its activities to regional (District) and national levels and work towards sustainability of the project in the new context dominated by Covid pandemic and increased need for services.
In light of the Covid pandemic, the context of project operation has changed significantly. Health and economic conditions have deteriorated considerably for project beneficiaries. It is difficult to implement learning, capacity building, policy discussions, or similar activities due to health hazards and limitations on face-to-face meetings or public gatherings.
Project scaleup and pivoting to the new Covid context require a new approach to designing and delivering capacity-building interventions for civil society and government officials. As the project team is working to address new challenges and utilise opportunities to strengthen democratic ownership and accountability mechanisms in Bangladesh, joining the P4D as Capacity Building Coordinator can contribute to project objectives in a challenging, engaging, and fast-changing environment.
Main opportunities/challenges for this role
Work with relevant sector experts, including a range of consultants retained by the programme, to ensure the delivery of high quality and effective capacity building and awareness activities for a range of audiences.
Capacity Building Coordinator must work as part of a larger team in a fast-changing environment, drawing on previous practices and policies while creating new and innovative solutions that address the Covid context's challenges and enhance opportunities.
In the light of the pandemic, the context of project operation has changed significantly. Health and economic conditions have deteriorated considerably for project beneficiaries. It is difficult to implement learning, capacity building, policy discussions, or similar activities due to health hazards and limitations on face-to-face meetings or public gatherings.
Project scaleup and pivoting to the new Covid context require a different approach to training, coaching, and other learning interventions to ensure project impact. Joining P4D as Capacity Building Coordinator is an opportunity to contribute to the advancement of project objectives when P4D addresses new challenges and utilizes opportunities to strengthen democratic ownership and accountability mechanisms in Bangladesh.
Capacity Building Coordinator will be responsible for:
Capacity Building & Development of Multiple Stakeholders
- Identify learning & development needs for each group of stakeholders, developing training modules, materials, and coordinating all training events for CSOs, MAPs, DPFs, and Government Representatives.
- Lead on developing and sharing capacity-building best practices to inform the delivery of all capacity-building activities within the programme. Work with team members leading engagement with civil society and local government to develop and agree on programming for all capacity-building training and workshops offered by the P4D.
- Lead on identifying qualified personnel to deliver workshops and related capacity building, learning & development activities across the programme.
- Work closely with P4D colleagues, including Civil Society and Advocacy coordinators, to develop and sustain relationships and links with project stakeholders.
Support development of District and National Policy Forums
- Work with involved organisations and individuals to draw up tailor-made capacity-building plans for individual projects.
- Provide on-going capacity-building support to the CSOs and individuals through regular project visits and online support as required.
Facilitate government capacity building interventions
- Serve as the focal point for the implementation of capacity building activities of four government training institutions
- Design and manage online or offline international learning experiences for P4D stakeholders
- Support capacity building interventions of government officials on Citizen's Charter, Grievance Redress System, and other social accountability tools
Evaluation, Learning, and Reporting Support
- Bring learning best practices on effective learning & development from corporate, civil society, and government.
- Work in an integrated way with P4D colleagues to embed the programme's approaches to research, evaluation, and learning and ensure that all programming is carried out reflectively and contributes to the broader body of knowledge.
- Evaluate training events and incorporate learning in strategic planning and programme implementation.
- Develop and maintain a database of P4D's capacity-building stakeholders.
- Reports to Deputy Team Leader and works closely with the Civil Society and Advocacy coordinators, Comms, and RMEL teams to advance project activities.
- Work closely with the Civil Society Coordinator to plan and implement capacity-building interventions of partner CSOs, MAP, and district policy forum members.
- Work closely with the Advocacy Coordinator to plan and implement national policy forum members' capacity-building interventions.
- Maintain close contact with the Project Team Leader and Research Evaluation and Learning Lead to ensure proper documentation and evidence for reporting.
- Liaise with the Programme Manager to ensure compliance with British Council corporate standards and partnership with P4D partner training institutions.
- Partner CSOs and government training institutes
|Passport requirements/right to work in-country
|The candidate should have a legal right to work in Bangladesh
|Direct contact or managing staff working with children?
|Security or legal checks required for this role
|Reference and Background Verification Checks as per British Council Bangladesh HR policy
Role Specific Knowledge, Experience, and Skills
Shortlisting and interview
|British Council Core Skills
Shortlisting and Interview
|British Council Behaviours
Shortlisting and Interview
|Application and Contractual Arrangement:
The British Council will contract this work through a consultancy contract. The ToR is subject to modifications as per project needs.
How to Apply
* Your Cover Letter should detail how your qualifications, experience, and skills match the requirements of this TOT.
Please mark in the subject line "Application for Capacity Building Coordinator."
No hard copy applications are accepted.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for the next step of the recruitment process.
Closing date: 10 April 2021