A woman who died of coronavirus has been refused by the funeral services in city, resulting in keeping her body at home for more than 36 hours.
The incident took place at the southwestern city of Naples in Italy, reports the Al Jazeera.
The 47 years old lady had developed symptoms associated with COVID-19 earlier this week and died on
March 7. She was tested for the virus only after her death and it was positive.
On Sunday her brother posted a video on Facebook urging the authorities to help them in this crisis. "I am making this video for the good of Italy, for the good of Naples. My sister died last night, probably because of the virus, and I have been waiting for answers since last night" he said.
He added "I had to force them to come and do the test. I have had to put myself in self-isolation. I might have the virus. To keep my sister alive, I tried to give her mouth to mouth resuscitation and no one cared, no one is calling me. We are ruined, Italy has abandoned us. But we must give each other strength."
The deceased's elderly parents and other relatives, including children, were also reportedly in the house with the body. They have since been tested for the virus and are now awaiting results.
"The big problem is that they have been closed there for four days, and no one is taking away their trash. It's getting unhygienic and we don't know what to do about it. Someone needs to help them" said Francesco Emilio Borrelli, a local councillor and member of the Regional Health Commission for Campania.
"It was the first case in Italy in which a person with the virus dies at home, so there was some confusion on what to do"
A local funeral home agreed to take Teresa's body after Franzese's video went viral.