An Afghan Starter: Vegetable Shorwa - by Hasina Ahmadi
• 3 tbs of corn oil
• 2 large onions, chopped
• ½ tbs of salt, or to taste
• 4 cups water
• 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
• 2 large carrots, cut into 1 inch cubes
• 2 ribs celery with leaves, sliced
• ¼ tbs of pepper
• ¼ tbs of ground cinnamon
• 1 egg, beaten
• 2 tbs fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and stir fry over a medium heat for two minutes.
2. Add potato, carrots, celery, water, the remaining salt, pepper and cinnamon, and bring to a boil.
3. Simmer soup, covered, for 30 minutes.
4. Once simmered, add a beaten egg into the pot of soup and stir in a circular motion until cooked.
5. Serve warm, garnishing each serving with a sprinkle of parsley.
Honey Lime Rainbow Fruit Salad - by Fatima Bheekoo-Shah
• 450 grams fresh strawberries, diced
• 450 grams fresh pineapple, diced
• 350 grams fresh blueberries
• 350 grams red grapes, diced into halves
• 4 kiwis, peeled and diced
• 400 gram can mandarin oranges in juice, drained well and sliced into halves
• 2 ripe bananas, diced
Honey Lime Dressing
• ¼ cup honey (I use less as I am not fond of an overly sweet fruit salad)
• 2 teaspoons lime zest (zest of 2 medium limes)
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1. Add all fruit to a large mixing bowl
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the honey, lime zest and lime juice
3. Pour over fruit just before serving and toss to evenly coat. As it sits for a few minutes, the juices will gather at the bottom, so toss again before plating
Notes: Instead of lime use the zest of oranges and a few drops of orange juice or orange blossom water for a Moroccan twist.