When a person infected with the coronavirus coughs, small droplets - packed with the virus spreads into the air. Hence social distancing is important to curb the spread of the pandemic.
These can be breathed in, or can cause an infection if one touches a surface the droplets have landed on, reports the BBC.
The less time people spend together, the less chance there is for COVID-19 to spread.
Social distancing involves:
- Working from home if possible
- Avoiding all unnecessary travel
- Staying away from crowded places
- Avoiding gatherings of all sorts
- Staying two metres from other people