The Community College Initiative (CCI) Programme 2021-2022 is now open, announces the US Embassy in Dhaka.
Bangladeshi undergraduate students from the first year through third year may apply to spend one academic year in the United States at American community colleges, says a press release.
The programme provides academic instruction at community colleges throughout the United States in the fields of applied engineering, agriculture, business management and administration, early childhood education, information technology, media, public safety, and tourism and hospitality management.
The deadline for applying for the programme is 7 January.
Since 2013, nearly 55 Bangladeshi students have participated in the programme.
The programme's purpose is to provide promising students with a deeper understanding of American culture while enhancing leadership skills and English language proficiency.
In addition to coursework, participants are also expected to become active members of their local communities by participating in extracurricular activities and volunteer projects. After completing the programme, participants will return to their home countries with new skills to help them contribute to the economic growth and development of their countries.
Although the programme is non-degree-earning, students will earn full credits for two semesters and gain first-hand practical experiences through internships in their field of study.
Depending on the field of study and school attended, participants may also earn an academic certificate in their field of study.
Interested candidates must meet the criteria outlined below:
• Be Bangladeshi citizens and not dual citizens or permanent residents of the United States or any other country;
• Be at least 18 years old;
• Have a passport that is valid until February 2023;
• Have completed their HSC degree / A-levels or be currently enrolled as first year university students;
• Be proficient in written and spoken English language, and able to obtain a minimum iBT TOEFL score of 65-71 or an IELTS score of 6.0
• Have at least a B+ average, without any failing grades;
• Be committed to returning to Bangladesh upon completion of the programme and satisfying the J-visa two-year residency requirement;
• Have demonstrated leadership skills;
• Have limited or no prior study or travel experience in the United States;
• Be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic programme, community service, and educational travel;
• Be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to make adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country;
• Be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful and inquisitive; and
• Be able to begin the academic exchange programme in the United States in July 2021.
Detailed application instructions are available at: https://bd.usembassy.gov/ccip-24573/?_ga=2.248121732.264558258.160722410....
For more information about the CCI Programme, one can visit: https://exchanges.state.gov/non-us/program/community-college-initiative-....