Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has stressed the importance of establishing good governance everywhere for the country's overall development.
"For the overall development, good governance is urgently needed. Law and order and everything else are related with this," she said.
The Prime Minister said this on Sunday while inaugurating the five-day annual conference of the deputy commissioners (DCs) at Shapla Hall at the Prime Minister's Office.
She asked the DCs to work for eradicating terrorism, drugs, corruption and other social menaces.
She said those who offer and receive bribes are guilty but noted that those who offer bribes are guiltier. "If we work keeping this in mind, then it'll be possible for us to get rid of this (the practice of giving and taking bribe)," she said.
Sheikh Hasina said the government is tirelessly working to spread the touch of development to the grassroots level people of the country.
"Our development is not for a handful of people. We're doing that for changing the lifestyle of the grassroots level people, increasing their purchasing capacity, graduating from the poverty line and stopping the tendency to come to the city from the rural areas," she said.
The premier issued 30-point directives to the deputy commissioners (DCs)-
1. Remain alert so that people do not become victims of harassment and deprivation in receiving government services.
2. Perform responsibilities more carefully and strictly for maintaining peace-discipline and stability in all spheres of the life by eliminating militancy, terrorism and communalism.
3. Take all necessary steps to continue the drives against narcotics to save the youths from the menace.
4. Create massive mass awareness to prevent production, transportation and marketing of adulterated food and curb the unethical acts with iron hands.
5. Give importance to round-the-clock monitoring of market system and give consumer rights to an institutional shape and curb any efforts to create an artificial crisis in market with iron hands.
6. Ensure proper legal steps for stopping violence, torture and hostile attitude against women and checking woman and child trafficking.
7. Work with responsibilities for freeing social menaces like woman and child repression and trafficking, dowry, eve-teasing and early marriage.
8. Remain vigilant about protecting government land by increasing transparency and efficiency in land administration and management.
9. Raise mass awareness about protecting environment and ensure proper enforcement of laws and rules related to it.
10. Take strict steps for maintaining peace in industrial zone and making uninterrupted transportation of goods and export-import and eliminating muscle power, extortion, tender manipulation and terrorism.
11. Take all necessary measures for smooth supply of fertilizers, seeds, electricity and fuel etc in boosting agriculture production.
12. Take special measures for the welfare of the disabled and autistic people and disadvantageous communities.
13. Work together with public representatives in establishing good governance at the grassroots level.
14. Take a motto for development of rural infrastructure and flourishing potential small and medium scale industries as well as alleviating poverty through generating employment.
15. Make effective the village courts for providing justice to common people easily and reduce case backlog at the courts.