Workers of state-owned jute mills in Khulna industrial belt on Monday continued their indefinite hunger strike for the second consecutive day to press home their 11-point demand, including implementation of the wage commission.
Earlier on Sunday, leaders of the state-owned Jute Mill CBA-Non-CBA Sangram Parishad declared the resumption of their agitation programme after a meeting at mill gate around 2pm.
Back in December 13, workers at nine state-run jute mills in Khulna, who started fast-unto-death on December 10 to realise their demands, had postponed their strike for three days following a meeting with State Minister for Labour and Employment Begum Munnujan Sufian.
Later, the leaders of workers sat with government officials on December 17 and 26. In the meeting on December 26 at textile and jute ministry, state minister for labour, jute ministry secretary, senior officials of the Bangladesh Jute Mill Corporation (BJMC) were present, among others.
Former CBA chairman of Crescent Jute Mill, Murad Hossain said, "In the meeting, State Minister Monnujan Sufian had sought another month time to fulfil our demands, but the jute mill workers disagreed with this."
Aggrieved workers decided to go on fresh strike as the Thursday's meeting failed.
Labour leaders said that they have doubt about the implementation of the wage commission after a month.
The 11-point demand also includes cancellation of public-private ownership, allocation of necessary fund for jute sector, insurance for families of deceased workers, provident fund and gratuity facility for retired workers and regularisation of temporary workers.