All four members of a family sustained burns when the air conditioner in their flat in the capital’s Kathalbagan area caught fire on Monday.
The injured are Moniruzzaman Liton, 42, his wife Maria Ferdous, 27, daughter Laiva, 9, and nine-month-old son Livan.
They were taken to the Burn and Plastic Surgery Unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital after the accident.
“Before we reached the scene, locals rescued the victims and took them to hospital”, said Rayhanul Asharaf, senior station officer of the fire service.
Of the four, Moniruzzaman was said to be in a critical condition and was kept in the hospital’s intensive care unit.
“The fire burned 50 percent of Moniruzzaman’s body,” said Partha Shankar Pal, residential treatment officer of the burn unit.
“Maria sustained 27 percent injuries while Laiva and Livan received 17 percent and seven percent respectively,” he added.
“The primary investigation reveals that the fire originated from an electric short circuit,” Rayhanul said. “But it did not burn for long.”
The fire service official also said the air conditioner did not explode. “Otherwise, the doors and windows would have been broken.”