At least four shops and several business establishments were gutted in a fire that broke out at Kalamachara Market in Moheshkhali upazila of Cox's Bazar early Friday.
The affected traders have claimed that they suffered nearly Tk1 crore of damage from the flames.
Local people said the fire might have originated from an electric short circuit at Al-Hamra Medical Lab in Kalamarchara Market around 3am and soon engulfed seven business establishments including a pharmacy and two workshops.
Local people said they informed the matter to local Palli Bidyut Office, but the Palli Bidyut officials did not take any initiative in this regard. Later, firefighters of Moheshkhali Sadar upazila Fire Service and Civil Defence unit extinguished the fire after two hours of frantic efforts.
Tarek Bin Sharif, chairman of Kalmarchara Union Parishad, said medical equipment, televisions, refrigerators, medicine, goods and products of grocery stores, five motorcycles, equipment of two workshops were burned down in the fire."