A fire broke out on the ground floor of a four-storey building near Banani graveyard in Dhaka around 2:30pm on Tuesday.
"The fire originated from an electric short-circuit and engulfed the ground floor. Two fire-fighting units rushed to the spot and extinguished the fire," said fire service duty officer.
No casualties were reported as of filing of this report at 5pm.
Witnesses said many people were trapped on the other floors of the building and could not come out because of the blaze. They were seen crying for help from the windows.