The fire that broke out in front of a residential building near Banani police station in the capital on Thursday was extinguished in the afternoon.
The fire was brought under control around 1:45pm, Mohammad Yeasin, sub-inspector of Banani police station, told The Business Standard.
The fire originated in an electric line and spread out.
“The residents of the building tried to douse the fire using fire extinguishers,” said a passer-by named Quader Helal.
On information, several units of firefighters reached the spot and doused the fire within 15 minutes.
The fire damaged parts of the building, SI Yeasin said.
The origin of the fire could not be ascertained immediately, he said, adding, “It might have originated from a faulty cable line.”
No casualties were reported in the incident.