Eight shops gutted in a fire at Ghorashal Industrial area in Narsingdi early Friday.
The fire that broke out at Bangladesh Jute Mill (BJM) colony under Palash upazila caused a financial loss amounting to about Tk600,000, said affected businessmen.
Yusuf Ali, a resident of BJM colony and also president of the Collective Bargaining Agency, said residents of the colony saw smokes spiralling out of a cloth shop at around 2am on Thursday.
Nearby residents shouted. Meanwhile, fire spread to some other shops.
Then, residents of the colony tried to douse the blaze and phoned the upazila fire service.
Affected businessmen Jahangir, Wadud and Robi Das said they closed shops at 11pm on Thursday.
At 2am, they had been informed about the fire.
Hadiul Islam, station officer of Palash upazila fire service, said two units of the fire service brought the fire under control after two hours of attempt.
The fire might have broken out from short-circuit, he added.