Five people have suffered burn injuries in a fire that broke out following an explosion in a flat in Chattogram's Bakalia area.
The injured were identified as Pradeep Das (52), Madhusudan Dutta (45), Jodu Biswas (55), Pankaj Dey (40), and Kishore Kumar Dey (42).
"The owner of the house is Pradeep Das and the rest of them who were there were his friends, who were playing cards at Pradeep's house on Saturday night," said CMCH police outpost Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Shilbrata Barua.
The explosion took place when Pradeep lit a gas lighter for cigarettes, leaving five burn injured, added the ASI.
The injured have been admitted to Chittagong Medical College Hospital (CMCH).
CMCH Burn and Plastic Surgery Unit Head Dr Rafiq Uddin said, "The victims have sustained 40% to 75% burn injuries. Among them Pradeep's condition is critical."