Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) has temporarily put on hold all cricket activities following a directive to suspend all sporting activities in the country as part of the latest Covid-19 lockdown restrictions imposed by the Government with effect from today.
ZC announced the news through a press release on Monday.
This includes the four-day match between Zimbabwe A and South Africa A which started on Sunday.
ZC has, however, lodged an urgent appeal to the Government, through the Sports and Recreation Commission, for permission to complete the ongoing four-day international match as well as to continue with preparations for other upcoming international tours that they had already committed to.
The news also puts Bangladesh's tour of Zimbabwe in jeopardy.
BCB CEO Nizam Uddin Chowdhury, however, is still optimistic about the series going on. He told the media that he talked with the ZC CEO regarding the tour.
'Their government has banned all sports due to the recent Covid surge. The Zimbabwe Cricket Board has informed us that they are in talks with the government to continue cricket. I spoke to their CEO this morning. He said they are in talks with the government to continue the series and were optimistic. We are in touch with them. They are confident with the series," he said.
Bangladesh are due to travel to the African nation to play one Test, 3 ODIs, and as many T20Is from July 7 onwards.