An elderly woman was killed and seven members of a family, including children, sustained burns in a fire that originated from a gas leakage in Siddhirganj of Narayanganj today.
The deceased is Nurjahan Begum, 60.
The injured are - Kiran, 43, Hiran, 25, his wife Mukta, 20, daughter Lima, 3, Abul Hossain, 22, Kausar, 16, and Apon, 10.
Nurjahan Begum's son-in-law, Elias Mia, said that the family hails from Shibpur upazila of Narsingdi. The family currently rents the ground floor of a five-storey building in Signboard Sahebpara area.
The gas pressure was low in the area at night, so family members fell asleep without turning off the stove. In the morning, when Nurjahan Begum lit fire for cooking, the whole house caught fire. Eight people were burned in that fire. Later, they were admitted to the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
DMCH police outpost in-charge Inspector Bacchu Mia said, "The condition of the victims are critical. They are being treated in the emergency department now."
Deputy Director of the Fire Service Md Abdullah Al Arefin said, "We think that gas leaked from the stove throughout the night and spread inside the house. Later in the morning, the blaze broke out when Nurjahan Begum tried to light a fire."
Siddhirganj Police Station Officer-in-Charge Kamrul Faruk said, "The police reached the spot after receiving the news. The injured were rushed to the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital."