The government has named nine individuals including two posthumously, Ahsanullah Master and Mahadev Saha and one organisation for the Independence Awards.
A list of nominees for the award was released in a press release issued by the Cabinet Division on Sunday.
The recipients are:
- Late AKM Bazlur Rahman (Independence and Liberation War)
- Shahid Ahsan Ullah Master (Independence and Liberation War)
- Late martyred intellectual Brigadier general Khushid Uddin Ahmed (Independence and Liberation War)
- Late Akhtaruzzaman Chowdhury Babu (Independence and Liberation War)
- Dr Mrinmay Goho Niyogi (science and technology)
- Mahadeb Shaha (Literature)
- Ataur Rahman (Culture)
- Gazi Mazharul Anwar (Culture)
- Professor Dr M Amzad Hossain (Social Service)
- Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council will get the award as an organisation
This is the highest state award in the country. The government has been giving this award every year since 1977 on the occasion of Independence Day on 26 March.