The Power Division has said a glitch in consumers' internal services may have resulted in the tragic electrocution incident that claimed four lives in Mirpur last night.
Expressing grief over the tragic deaths, the Power Division provided details regarding their actions and findings in a release on Friday (22 September).
It stated that the Dhaka Electric Supply Company Limited (DESCO) promptly shut down Rupali Housing and Rupnagar feeders under Rupnagar B&B division upon receiving information about the accident in Haji Road area of Mirpur from the fire service at 10:25pm.
"Despite challenging conditions with the area submerged in rainwater, an inspection team was dispatched promptly. They thoroughly examined the area and found no evidence of a damaged LT/HT line or broken power cable. The closed feeder line was restored at 11:27pm," the Power Division stated.
It said, "Six transformers in the vicinity were deactivated due to persistent waterlogging and the area being slum mostly. Rupali Housing and Rupnagar feeders were reactivated at 11:27pm. Following a comprehensive examination of each transformer, all transformers were reactivated by 12:30pm as no issues were detected."
The Power Division said further steps will be taken following a thorough investigation.
They also stressed the importance of consumer awareness and caution to prevent similar electrical accidents in the future.