The Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission (BERC) is going to announce a unique price for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) on 12 April.
Confirming the issue, BERC Member (gas) Md Maqbul-E-Elahi Chowdhury told The Business Standard that they have completed all required preparations after hosting the public hearing on 14 January.
He, however, did not disclose the details of the price adjustment formula.
The private sector has all along controlled the price of the large portion of cooking gas while the government owned portion's price is being set by the Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation (BPC).
Following a directive of the High Court, the BERC initiated to take the price adjustment charge in its hand.
The High Court's directive came following a writ petition filed by the Consumer Association of Bangladesh (CAB), which asked the court to ensure the consumer rights by fixing a unique LPG price.
Currently, there are 28 LPG operators in the country against an annual demand of around 1 million tonnes.
Around 98% of the total demand is being met through imports while the BPC supplies the remaining 2% from local sources.