A 7-month-old baby boy has survived a tragic incident of electrocution in Mirpur – caused by live wire falling into accumulated water on the road on Thursday night – which killed his parents and elder sister.
Mizan Howlader, 35, along with his wife Mukta, 25, elder daughter Lima, 7, and the infant named Hossain were heading towards their home at Jhilpar slum near Mirpur Commerce College at around 9pm. As they reached a section of the road opposite to the slum, all of them except Hossain died from the electrocution.
A local youth named Mohammad Anik, 18, had also died while trying to rescue the family.
Two Hijras named Amina and Bristi took the injured infant to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
On Friday, the autopsies of the four deceased individuals were completed.
Md Mohsin, officer-in-charge of Mirpur Model Police Station, mentioned, "After the autopsy, the bodies were handed over to their family members, who will decide on the burial arrangements."
Relatives of the deceased revealed that Mizan's family hailed from Barishal, and they intend to take their bodies there for burial.
The infant will also be taken to Barishal by his grandfather.
Due to the heavy rainfall since Thursday evening, several areas of the capital, including Mirpur 10, Mirpur 11, Shyamoli, Mohammadpur, Dhanmondi, Purana Paltan, Gulistan, Old Dhaka, Bangshal Road, Bijoy Sarani, Eskaton, Farmgate, and Tejgaon have been submerged.
The water levels have surged to an alarming 5 meters, surpassing danger thresholds. Previously, during cyclone Sitrang last year, the water levels reached a peak of 5.7 metres in Dhaka.