If you are a first-year undergraduate applicant with an interest and passion for promoting intercultural learning and exchange, the #YouAreWelcomeHere scholarship at Temple University of Philadelphia can be a great opportunity for you.
The US Embassy in Dhaka, in a social media post, sought applications from the Bangladeshi students. Addressing the aspirants, it said "Demonstrate your interest in promoting cultural exchange with a video or essay submitted through the application. Recipients will receive an annual, renewable scholarship of $20,000."
The interested ones have to apply through due process by 1 February, 2021.
Here is detailed outline of the application process.
To be considered for the #YouAreWelcomeHere scholarship, you must
- be a first-year international applicant. An international applicant is an individual who holds citizenship in a country outside the United States and who does not also possess US citizenship or permanent residency.
- attend (or have graduated from) a secondary school outside of the US.
- demonstrate interest and personal initiative in activities involving intercultural learning and exchange.
Three Steps to Apply
Here's what you need to do to apply for the scholarship.
- Apply for admission using the Common Application.
- Submit the one-page #YouAreWelcomeHere application and corresponding essay or video to YAWH@temple.edu by 1 February. If submitting a large video file, please share a link to the video.
- If you are awarded a scholarship, you must claim it by submitting an enrollment deposit by May 1.
Make sure to meet the following deadlines in order to be considered.
- 1 February: Application deadline
- 1 May : Decision day, enrollment, and housing deadline
To check on the status of your admissions and scholarship decision, check TUportal, or contact us at YAWH@temple.edu or +1-215-204-4900.
#YouAreWelcomeHere Campaign and Scholarship
In 2016, Temple pioneered a nationwide welcome message from U.S. higher education to international students around the world. Through the #YouAreWelcomeHere scholarship, Temple recognizes international students who demonstrate a vision for enhancing intercultural understanding.
Experiences of the alumni
In 2019, Ayna Mammedova of Turkmenistan and Andres Mondragon of Peru became the inaugural recipients of Temple's #YouAreWelcomeHere scholarship.
Disclosing her experience, she said "Before applying, I watched a lot of videos about #YouAreWelcomeHere. I was a bit nervous about the application process. Now, I am calm and confident. I know Temple is welcoming me. The university is so kind with its international students—and I am proud to be one of them."
Another alumnus - Andres Mondragon with Actuarial Science major at Fox School of Business – said "#YouAreWelcomeHere shows Temple cares about its international students. It was the only university I applied to that offers this scholarship."