US Embassy in Dhaka announced the application period for the Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for International Teachers (FDAI)
Under the program, primary and secondary teachers from Bangladesh will get a semester-long professional development program at a US host university to develop expertise in their subject areas, enhance their teaching skills and increase their knowledge about the United States.
The Fulbright DAI program includes coursework and intensive training in teaching methodologies, lesson planning and teaching strategies for the participants' home environment, as well as the use of computers for internet, word processing and as teaching tools.
The program also entails a two-month internship at an American school to engage participants with US teachers and students.
Trips to US cultural sites and academic support will be provided for participants throughout the program, subject to the pandemic situation.
The Fulbright DAI program is sponsored by the US Department of State and implemented by IREX, a Washington, D.C. based nonprofit organization.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time secondary educator with five or more years of classroom experience in disciplines including Social Studies, Civics Education, Mathematics, English as a Foreign Language, Science, and special education;
- Demonstrate a proven track record of professional development activities and leadership;
- Be a citizen of Bangladesh and have no dual citizenship;
- Be proficient in spoken and written English. The Fulbright DAI program requires English language skills sufficient to function independently in the United States and the ability to express ideas clearly and effectively in university or graduate-level courses and professional settings;
- Have general computer skills, including word processing, basic file management, internet browsing, and familiarity with Microsoft Office;
- Submit a complete online application
- A completed application form;
- Completed Institutional Support and Reference Forms (ISRF), completed by a supervisor;
- Leave Approval Form (LAF);
- A photocopy of the applicant's passport (information pages only, upload it at Section XV. Supplemental Documents);
- Copies of academic records (mark sheets or transcripts of graduate and postgraduates only, upload it at Section XV. Supplemental Documents);
Short-listed candidates will be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS test, as strong English skills are a requirement for the program with a score of 6.5 or higher on the paper-based IELTS, or an equivalent English language examination score is required to participate in the Fulbright DAI program.
Candidates with valid scores will not be required to test again. The US Embassy will arrange all testing as required.
Applicants must follow all instructions and submission guidelines.
Applications that do not meet the eligibility requirements and incomplete applications will not be forwarded to the selection committee. Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview. A copy of this announcement available at https://bd.usembassy.gov/25183-dai-2022/ .
Financial provisions and non-monetary support for this fellowship include J-1 visa support, a pre-departure orientation held in Dhaka, round-trip airfare to and within the United States, a welcome orientation in Washington, D.C., academic program fees, housing (generally shared with other program fellows), meals, accident and health insurance, transportation to the internship school (if necessary), a book/professional development allowance, a closing seminar hosted by one of the host universities in the United States, and the opportunity to apply for follow-on grants.
*Please note that all applications are due on or before Thursday, April 15, 2021. Candidates may apply with the understanding that this is a worldwide competition, and all applicants will go through a rigorous screening process.
Finalists will be notified by the end of December 2021. The program will take place in the US in August 2022.
Application forms are available at https://fulbright.irex.org/.
If you experience any difficulties navigating the online application, please contact Program Manager, Tahnia Shahid, at [email protected].
Application Deadline: Thursday, April 15, 2021, at 4:30 p.m. BST