The High Court has rejected a writ petition seeking a directive for admission of students in medical colleges based on a new merit list, claiming that the published results of the MBBS admission test for academic year 2020-21 were flawed.
A virtual bench comprised of Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Sardar Mohammad Rashed Jahangir, issued their order on Thursday.
"The writ is being dismissed with observation. But, if any candidates have complaints about the results, they would have to apply to the Directorate General of Medical Education," the court said.
"In that case, that authority would have to settle the matter within seven days and inform the candidate concerned. And if any candidate has taken part in the admission process by concealing information and if that is established, their admission will be canceled immediately."
Lawyer Mohammad Humayun Kabir appeared for the writ petition, while Additional Attorney General Mehedi Hasan Chowdhury and Deputy Attorney General Bipul Bagmar, represented the state.
Supreme Court lawyers Mohammad Humayun Kabir and Mohammad Kawshar filed the writ petition on 19 May on behalf of 324 candidates who took part in the admission test.
Regarding the writ petition, lawyer Mohammad Humayun Kabir said, according to the rules of admission, if a candidate participates in the admission test for the second time while he is admitted to a medical college, 7.5 marks will be deducted from his total marks.
Again, if a candidate has passed the HSC examination last year, then 5 marks will be deducted. But the published results show that this rule was not followed in the case of many candidates.
On 4 April, results for the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery first-year admission tests were released.
On the basis of national merit, 4,350 aspirants were selected for admission to 37 government medical colleges.
Of the students who took part in the examination, 48,975 came out successful, which is 39.86% of total candidates.