The High Court has upheld the government's decision to increase public transport fares by 60 percent.
Following a hearing on the writ petition on Thursday, a virtual High Court bench of Justice JBM Hassan ordered the writ petition to be removed from the court's daily cause list.
As a result, the notice issued by the government and the decision of increasing fare will remain effective, said Attorney General Mahbubey Alam.
Humayun Kabir Pallab was the petitioner's lawyer whereas attorney general Mahbubey Alam and deputy attorney general Samarendra Nath Biswas appeared for the state.
Lawyer Humayun Kabir Pallab said, "From the very beginning of the hearing, questions were raised about the validity of the writ petition. At the same time, the attorney general told the court that the fare had been increased by 60 percent in consultation with all parties."
'But I told the court that in this coronavirus situation, people's livelihoods are in great danger. Considering that, increasing transportation fare by 60 percent is like a death blow. This is a completely unreasonable decision. The court, after hearing the statements of both the parties, ordered the writ petition to be removed from the agenda," said Humayun Kabir Pallab.
Last Sunday, the Department of Road Transport and Highways issued a notification to increase the fares of inter-district, long-distance and city transport buses and minibuses by 60 percent on condition of keeping half of the seats empty.
The next day, Barrister Humayun Kabir Pallab filed a writ petition at the High Court challenging the notification in the public interest.
The secretary of the Ministry of Road Transport and Bridges (Department of Road Transport and Highways) and the chairman of Bangladesh Road Transport Authority were made respondents in the writ petition.